Sunday, December 17, 2006

Update to the antique media format discussion:

The only format rarer and harder to deal with than cassette seems to be miniCD. That format was widely available the last time I lived here in Taipei. But this time it took an entire weekend of searching to locate a store that sold them. The store I found was on the second floor of the Nova Computing Equipment Mall near to Taipei Main Station. They only have one kind of mini CD available, and one kind of case for them, although I guess in a pinch you could store them in normal-sized cases. That would look weird.

I know that these will be even harder and more frustrating for my audience to play back. Many computers will have no problem with them, but commercial audio CD players almost certainly will. And although they won't be the last CD anyone listens to, they might be both the first and last miniCD.

In fact, since I only have 20 of them now, and the audio for the first one isn't ready to print yet, I don't even know if my laptop will recognize and/or burn them. I do have a backup USB CD writer with a recessed drive loader that seems designed for miniCDs.

Ah, obscurity, the sweetest fruit that grows...

No comments: